Minister for Women and Equalities, Liz Truss, has announced the full list of members for the newly formed Gender Equality Advisory Council (GEAC), which will ensure women are at the heart of the build back better agenda as we recover from Covid-19.
Members have been selected from each of the G7 countries and beyond, united by their commitment to democracy and women’s empowerment. In total 19 representatives have been appointed to the Council by Truss in her role as the Ministerial Lead for the GEAC, including the Chair, Sarah Sands, who was announced on International Women’s Day.
The government is determined that gender equality is viewed as vitally important throughout this year’s presidency, which is why GEAC members will report to G7 Leaders and engage across all seven G7 ministerial tracks to integrate gender equality in all their actions.
Full List of Members and Biographies:
- Sarah Sands (Chair), former editor of the Evening Standard and BBC R4’s Today programme
- Alice P. Albright, CEO of the Global Partnership for Education
- Prof. Jutta Allmendinger, President of the WZB Berlin Social Science Centre and Professor of Sociology at Humboldt University Berlin
- Hon Julie Bishop, Former Foreign Minister for Australia
- Prof. Iris Bohnet, Academic Dean, Professor of Public Policy and co-director, Women and Public Policy Program, Harvard University
- Ursula M. Burns, former CEO of Xerox and leader of the White House STEM programme
- Dr Fabiola Gianotti, physicist, Director-General, CERN
- Prof. Sarah Gilbert, Lead researcher at Oxford University for the coronavirus vaccine
- Isabelle Hudon, Canada’s Ambassador to France and Monaco
- Dr (H.C.) Ritu Karidhal, Deputy Operations Director to India’s Mars Orbiter Mission, Mangalyaan
- Bogolo J. Kenewendo, Economist and former Minister of Investment, Trade and Industry in Botswana
- Prof. Reiko Kuroda, Professor of Chemistry & Biology at Chubu University and winner of the L’Oreal-UNESCO award for Women in Science
- Dr Dambisa Moyo, Global economist and co-principal of Versaca Investments
- Marie-Christine Saragosse, President and CEO of France Médias Monde
- Emma Sinclair MBE, Tech entrepreneur and CoFounder of EnterpriseAlumni
- Dr Aldijana Šišić, Chief of the UN Trust Fund to End Violence against Women (UN Women)
- Dame Rachel de Souza, Children’s Commissioner for England
- Jessica Woodroffe, W7 Co-Chair and Director of Gender and Development Network
- Dr Denis Mukwege, gynaecologist, human rights activist and Nobel Peace laureate