In September 2011, the Government published its response to the ‘Access to Elected Office for Disabled People’ public consultation which sought views on how to provide extra support for disabled people who are seeking elected office.
The Government has set out its intention to take forward five of the six proposals it consulted on:
- setting up an access to elected office fund
- boosted training and development
- raising awareness of the challenges faced by disabled people
- cascading good practice on disability access policies
- promoting legal obligations.
Click here for announcement of Government response
Click here for details of proposals