‘It is clear that we need to think innovatively to reimagine work in a way that will enable us to react to a changed and changing workforce.’
This is from a February 2019 report on disability and inclusive employment (pdf) by Leonard Cheshire. The report examines the challenges and barriers facing disabled people throughout their working journey, as well as considering solutions to some of the key issues.
The report notes that:
- Just half of disabled people are employed, compared to 8 in 10 non-disabled people
- Disabled people may encounter significant barriers when taking their first steps into a fulfilling career
- There are signs that flexible ways of working are becoming increasingly normalised in certain sectors
- Employers need to be better prepared for the role they play in attracting, recruiting and retaining disabled people in their staff teams
- For many, putting in place strong provisions will have a significant impact on their future working life and financial stability.