As part of their review into hate crime laws in England and Wales, the Law Commission have published a March 2019 paper (pdf) providing an introduction to the project. The document aims to answer frequently asked questions about the origins and timeline of the project, provide an overview of the current law governing hate crime, and outline the scope of the project.
The paper includes information on:
• The existing hate crime legal framework
• How the legal system currently deals with hate crimes
• Previous work by the Commission into hate crime law
• The scope of the current review
• How to contribute to the upcoming consultation