‘63% of girls and young women aged 13-21 don’t feel safe walking
home alone’ says the 2018 annual survey (pdf) from Girlguiding, in September 2018.
Girlguiding has asked girls and young women aged 7 to 21, within and outside Girlguiding, about their views on subjects ranging from education to their personal safety and wellbeing.
The report finds:
- 43% of girls aged 7-10 enjoy ICT at school compared to 19% in 2009
- 53% of girls aged 7-10 want to be leaders in their chosen job compared to 42% in 2016
- 51% of girls aged 7-10 say they are very happy with how they look compared to 44% in 2009
- 25% of girls aged 7-21 say they are very happy compared to 41% in 2009
- 36% of girls aged 11-21 have spoken up on an issue they care about compared to 28% in 2011
- 47% of girls aged 7-10 are allowed out in their local area on their own or with friends compared to 59% in 2009.