One in five young women (20%) and one in six young men (16%) said that they had been offered less than the minimum wage they were entitled to.
This is from the Young Women’s Trust who have published their annual survey (pdf), in September 2018.
This is the third report they have carried out, and the latest to find that the situation facing many young people is deeply troubling.
The report finds:
- 23% of young women and 19% of young men said that they are in debt all of the time
- 19% of young women said they had been paid less than male colleagues who did similar work
- 8% of young women have experienced sexual harassment and reported it, but double the number (15%) have experienced harassment and not reported it
- 71% of young women and 56% of young men said that women still face discrimination in the workplace
- More than one in five young people report they are depressed (22% of young women, 21% of young men).