This January 2021 briefing from Women’s Budget Group provides a detailed insight into how money is distributed in a household and the implications for those on social security and experiencing spousal abuse.
- sets out what is known about how couples share incomes and decision-making about money in the household; with what outcomes; and the impact of different factors on this;
- outlines the evidence on financial control and abuse and how this relates to payment of benefits;
- examines the situation of couples on low/moderate incomes and/or social security benefits in particular, given that they are central to current debates on ‘welfare reform’;
- focuses on the specific issue of payment of benefits, in relation to Universal Credit and then benefits for children;
- describes the most recent developments in this area of inquiry.