In this report, Just Fair argue that the two-child limit restricts welfare payments to families based on family size and is forcing these families into poverty and hardship by not providing them with an adequate income.
The report analyses the need for a welfare system that is fit for purpose and supports all people in their time of need.
Key recommendations to the UK Government are therefore:
• Urgently lifts the two-child limit restricting welfare support
• Restores the link between social security entitlements and the cost of living so as to ensure that people are not pushed into poverty
• Conduct an expert assessment of the cumulative impact of tax and spending decisions since 2010, and the UK Government and prioritises the reversal of particularly regressive measures beyond the two-child limit, including the benefit cap, and the reduction of the housing benefit for under-occupied social rented housing.
• Ensures that fiscal policy is adequate, progressive and socially equitable and improves tax collection so as to increase resources available to ensure
economic and social rights.
• Lifts the No Recourse to Public Funds condition so as to ensure that all children and their families are able to access the welfare safety net when they need it.
• Works together with the devolved governments to develop a clear framework for the binding incorporation of economic and social rights as included in the International Covenant on Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights, as well as the treaties including the Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities.