House of Commons Library research briefing: NEET – Young People Not in Education, Employment or Training

783,000 people aged 16-24 were Not in Education, Employment or Training (NEET) in the second quarter of 2018. This corresponds to 11.2% of all people in this age group.

This is according to an August 2018 House of Commons Library research briefing on young NEET people .

These figures represent a decrease from previous quarters, and an overall fall in NEET people since it peaked in September 2011.

37% of the young people who were NEET in the second quarter of 2018 were unemployed. The remaining 63% were economically inactive.

Historically more women than men have been NEET, but the gap has narrowed over recent years. In the second quarter of 2018, slightly more men were NEET than women.

Some of the policies in place that aim to reduce the number of people who are NEET include:

  • The September Guarantee entitles all 16 and 17 year olds to an offer of a suitable place in education or training, while the participation age was raised to 18 in 2013.
  • Various steps have been taken to help young people find sustained employment, such as the expansion of the apprenticeships scheme, reforms to technical education, improved careers advice and the removal of Employer National Insurance Contributions to young people.
  • The government is funding various schemes that look to improve the education outcomes for disadvantaged young people, and those with learning difficulties or disabilities. Support for unemployed people to find work is provided through JobCentre Plus.

Read the research briefing in full.

Share this article

Related posts