Employers should clearly communicate the salary range on offer for a role to encourage women to negotiate their salary.
This is one of the recommendations from the Government Equalities Office’s revised August 2018 guidance (pdf) for employers looking for advice on how to understand and address their gender pay gap.
It sets out a number of actions employers can take to improve gender equality in their workplace.
The guidance recommends:
- Include multiple women in shortlists for recruitment and promotions
- Use skill-based assessment tasks in recruitment
- Use structured interviews for recruitment and promotions
- Introduce transparency to promotion, pay and reward processes
- Appoint diversity managers and/or diversity task forces
- Encourage the uptake of Shared Parental Leave