‘For the majority of people, #MeToo has shifted social norm’ says the October 2018 briefing (pdf) from the Fawcett Society on the impact of the #MeToo movement.
This research quantifies the powerful, disruptive impact that the ensuing #MeToo movement has had in the UK.
The paper finds:
- A year on from #MeToo, 36% of women, and the same proportion of men, had both heard of the campaign and could correctly identify its aim
- 31% of people have had a conversation with someone of the opposite sex about sexual harassment
- Women across social divides have been calling out unacceptable behaviour
– this change has not been restricted to “elites”
- 34% of women agreed that they had had a conversation about sexual harassment with other women, slightly fewer than the 41% who disagreed.