A key consideration of the EU negotiations should be the lived experiences of younger generations living in the UK.
The July 2018 report by Common Vision on millennials and Brexit provides a comprehensive and comparative picture of the attitudes and priorities of young people.
The key themes that emerged from the research synthesis include:
- Young people are well-informed and want to play their part.
- The importance of a strong economy for jobs and living.
- A strong commitment to an internationalist outlook.
- Freedom to travel, work and study abroad.
- Immigration produces mixed opinion, but is a lower concern overall than for older age groups.
The report concludes:
There is a clear risk that the current Brexit process will lead to a generation of citizens who feel disempowered and disengaged from political leaders and institutions.
It falls to politicians, civil society organisations and young people themselves to ensure this does not happen.