The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Social Mobility published their report ‘The class ceiling: Increasing access to the leading professions‘ in January 2017.
This report summarised the APPG’s inquiry on access into leading professions, which explored how to increase access to professions such as law by people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The APPG recommended that:
- A strategic approach to social mobility should be developed;
- Financial barriers to accessing the professions should be minimised;
- Recruitment practices should be fair and transparent;
- Careers advice for young people needs to be significantly improved; and
- Schools should encourage pupils to develop skills beyond their core curriculum that are keenly sought after by employers.